New York recycling centre refurbishes and resells e-waste

The United States produces more e-waste than any other country. The Lower East Side Ecology Centre in New York City collects one million pounds of e-waste a year.

by

    The United States produces more e-waste than any other country.

    The Lower East Side Ecology Centre in New York City collects one million pounds of e-waste a year.

    It recycles 95 percent of it and the other 5 percent is refurbished and resold if not for its original use, perhaps as a prop for movies and TV shows.

    The main mission of the centre is to raise awareness about e-waste by engaging with the community.

    Al Jazeera’s Kristen Saloomey reports from New York.


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    The woman who cleans up after 'lonely deaths' in Japan

    The woman who cleans up after 'lonely deaths' in Japan

    When somebody dies lonely and alone, Miyu Kojima steps in to clean their home and organise the mementos of their life.

    Putin and the 'triumph of Christianity' in Russia

    Putin and the 'triumph of Christianity' in Russia

    The rise of the Orthodox Church in Russia appears unstoppable, write filmmakers Glen Ellis and Viktoryia Kolchyna who went to investigate the close ties between the church and Putin.

    The chill effect: Is India's media running scared?

    The chill effect: Is India's media running scared?

    Much of India's media spurns a scoop about the son of PM Modi's right-hand man. Plus, NFL as platform for race politics.