[QODLink]
Middle East

Saudi sentences top al-Qaeda man to death

Faris al-Zahrani convicted for being "chief strategist" behind wave of violence that erupted in the kingdom in 2003.

Last updated: 02 Apr 2014 20:16
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Zahrani's trial was the latest in a series of prosecutions for the al-Qaeda violence between 2003 and 2006 [Youtube]

A Saudi court has sentenced to death the "chief strategist" of a wave of al-Qaeda violence that erupted in the kingdom in 2003, a decade after his reported arrest.

Faris al-Zahrani had been in custody ever since his detention near the Yemeni border in 2004, the Al-Madina newspaper reported on its website.

The official Saudi Press Agency gave neither his name nor the date of his arrest in the southwestern city of Abha, saying only that he had shown no remorse while in custody.

The trial, in which 16 co-defendants were also sentenced to prison terms of up to 20 years, was the latest in a series of prosecutions that begun in July 2011 for alleged offences committed during the peak of al-Qaeda violence in the oil kingpin between 2003 and 2006.

Saudi authorities had previously focused on efforts to reform those detained for "deviating" from officially sanctioned Islam by preaching violence, boasting of successful results from its well-funded rehabilitation centres.

Throughout his trial, the chief defendant continued to defy the authority of the state and to defend the killing of security personnel as an act justified by his faith, SPA said.

He showed every sign that if released he would continue to propagate his ideas, it added.

"He was detained in a public park in Abha in the possession of weapons that he intended to use to kill policemen or any civilian who got in his way," it said of his original arrest, which dealt a heavy blow to the armed group.

The co-accused, whose arrest dates were also not specified, were convicted of charges including "arms possession, participation in acts of terror, forging of official documents and assisting terrorists".

Al-Qaeda's now slain leader Osama bin Laden was Saudi-born and 15 of the 19 perpetrators of the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States were Saudis.

Saudi authorities launched a massive crackdown on the network over the past decade that prompted many of its fighters to shift base to neighbouring Yemen.

354

Source:
AFP
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Featured on Al Jazeera
Muslim volunteers face questioning and threat of arrest, while aid has been disrupted or blocked, charities say.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
ISIL combatants seeking an 'exit strategy' from Mideast conflict need positive reinforcement back home, analysts say.
European nation hit by a wave of Islamophobia as many young fighters join ISIL in Syria and Iraq.
Featured
Lack of child protection laws means abandoned and orphaned kids rely heavily on the care of strangers.
At least 25 tax collectors have been killed since 2012 in Mogadishu, a city awash in weapons and abject poverty.
Since she was 16-years-old, Scottish Nationalist Party's Sturgeon has strove for independence from the UK.
Armed group's ransom success with German hostages marks a re-emergence, as authorities investigate ISIL links.
Western nations are moving into the resource-rich country after decades of disinterest, challenging China's interests.