[QODLink]
Africa

Soldiers killed in Benghazi clashes

At least four troops reported dead and one civilian killed as special forces clash with armed fighters.

Last Modified: 15 Jun 2013 10:18
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Benghazi has been the scene of many clashes with fears heightened that the city could witness a 'bloodbath' [AFP]

At least four soldiers and one civilian have been killed after special forces clashed with armed fighters in the eastern port city of Benghazi, the army has reported.

The interim leader of Libya's army warned of a "bloodbath" as the unrest in the city flared up again, a week after clashes there killed more than 30 people.

Shortly before dawn, heavy gunfire and explosions could be heard near the headquarters of the special forces, not far from the city centre.

The Facebook page of the special forces said its members were exchanging light arms and rocket fire with an "outlaw" group and reported that two of its fighters had been wounded.

A little later it posted photos of three of its members and announced that they had been shot dead as they "were defending the legitimacy of the state with courage and honour".

Benghazi 'bloodbath'

The clashes came just hours after dozens of protesters forced a brigade of former rebel fighters from their base in Benghazi on Friday evening.

The demonstrators had burned two vehicles belonging to the First Infantry Brigade, before moving on the barracks, said a Libyan army officer.

The brigade was forced to abandon its headquarters as the protesters took it over.

A witness on site said the demonstrators, some of whom were armed, had fired in the air and launched a rocket-propelled grenade at an external wall of the barracks, though nobody was hurt.

The brigade was set up by former rebel fighters who helped overthrow the former leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011. It says it takes its orders from the defence ministry.

Following that first attack, Salem al-Konidi, the interim head of the army, said on the Al-Aseema television channel late on Friday: "If the special forces are attacked, there will be a bloodbath ... There could be a catastrophe in Benghazi."

Konidi is the interim replacement for General Yusef al-Mangoush, who resigned last Sunday, a day after fighting in Benghazi killed 31 people and left dozens more wounded.

Mangoush had come under mounting criticism for having failed to form a national army in the face of resistance from militias unwilling to surrender their independence.

353

Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
More than one-quarter of Gaza's population has been displaced, causing a humanitarian crisis.
Ministers and MPs caught on camera sleeping through important speeches have sparked criticism that they are not working.
Muslim charities claim discrimination after major UK banks began closing their accounts.
Italy struggles to deal with growing flood of migrants willing to risk their lives to reach the nearest European shores.
Featured
People are starving in southern Somalia while relief efforts are blocked by government and rebel fighting.
Some scientists say authorities in favour of nuclear energy tend to deny the negative results of researchers.
Report on child sex abuse in British Asian community highlights issues that may affect the entire nation.
Taliban makes quick gains in Afghanistan with little opposition from Afghan army as US withdrawal begins.
Experts from Minamata, Japan check for signs of mercury illnesses in Ontario, Canada.
join our mailing list