Mujawer is the first high level official to return to Yemen after the bomb attack [REUTERS]

Ali Mohammad Mujawer, Yemen's prime minister, has returned to Sanaa after spending more than two months in a hospital in Riyadh, following a bomb attack on the president's compound, state television said.

Mujawer is the first top Yemeni official to return from medical treatment in Saudi Arabia after being wounded in the June 3 attack, which killed 11 people and wounded several others.

President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who was severely wounded in the attack, last week vowed to return home "soon".

Despite his absence, Saleh has not transferred power to his vice-president Abdrabuh Mansour Hadi. Saleh's family members, who lead the army and security forces, appear to be running Yemen during his stay in Saudi Arabia.

Meanwhile, in other events, seven soldiers were killed on Tuesday and 30 others were wounded in an attack launched by suspected al-Qaeda fighters on a base in the southern province of Abyan, an official told the AFP news agency.

"Six soldiers and an officer were killed and 30 others wounded when al-Qaeda militants attacked the camp of the 201 Brigade in Dofes," south of Abyan, the capital of Zinjibar, the officer said.

An official from a military hospital which took in the casualties confirmed the toll.

The attackers had used the cover of a wooded area around the base to approach a unit of the brigade, opening fire with rocket-launchers and automatic weapons.

It is possible that these attacks were a retaliation to Monday's air strikes conducted by government warplanes in Arkub, another area in Abyan, which killed six presumed al-Qaeda fighters.

Source: Agencies