[QODLink]
Europe

Srebrenica survivors sue Dutch government

Survivors of Europe's worst massacre since World War II take Dutch state to court for failing to protect victims.

Last updated: 07 Apr 2014 17:00
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback

Survivors of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre have opened a civil suit against the Dutch government, saying Dutch peacekeepers should have protected the victims of Europe's worst massacre since World War II.

"They did not prevent the murder of thousands of civilians," Marco Gerritsen, the group's lawyer, told the Hague court on Monday, where the case is finally being heard, reported the AFP news agency.

The suit was first brought in 2007 by victims' group the Mothers of Srebrenica, in connection with the massacre during Bosnia's bloody three-year war in the early 1990s.

The tiny Muslim enclave of Srebrenica was under UN protection until July 11, 1995 when it was overrun by Bosnian Serb forces under the command of General Ratko Mladic.

Mladic's troops brushed aside the lightly-armed Dutch peacekeepers, called the Dutch battalion or Dutchbat, in the "safe area" where thousands of Muslims from surrounding villages had gathered for protection.

In the subsequent days, almost 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered and their bodies dumped in mass graves.

Quest for justice

The Mothers of Srebrenica, which represents some 6,000 widows and victims' relatives, have been seeking justice for several years for the massacre, which the UN's highest International Court of Justice has ruled was genocide.

"The Mothers of Srebrenica want the responsibility of the Dutch to be recognised and then compensation, even though this is less important to them," Semir Guzin, another victims' lawyer, told AFP.

"Of course, this procedure is not going to give us our sons and husbands back, but will bring a bit of justice," Hatidza Mehmedovic, one of about a dozen representatives of the Mothers present at the hearing, told AFP.

The Dutch state's lawyer argued that the Netherlands had no direct control over the Dutchbat unit during the peacekeeping operation.

"It is about Dutch soldiers, but Dutch soldiers wearing blue helmets and therefore completely under UN control," Gert-Jan Houtzagers told the court.

"Dutchbat did what it could with a handful of men," he said. "They tried to protect as many refugees as possible."

"That didn't work, but it's twisting the facts to say they [Dutchbat] led people like lambs to the slaughter," Houtzagers added.

Dutch courts have previously refused to hear a request by the Mothers of Srebrenica to prosecute the United Nations for the killings, saying the international organisation had immunity.

Last year the Strasbourg-based European Court of Human Rights agreed with that immunity decision.

The civil proceedings against the Dutch state being heard on Monday had been put on hold pending the outcome of the case against the UN.

428

Source:
AFP
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Featured on Al Jazeera
More than one-quarter of Gaza's population has been displaced, causing a humanitarian crisis.
Ministers and MPs caught on camera sleeping through important speeches have sparked criticism that they are not working.
Muslim charities claim discrimination after major UK banks began closing their accounts.
Italy struggles to deal with growing flood of migrants willing to risk their lives to reach the nearest European shores.
Featured
US drones in Pakistan have killed thousands since 2004. How have leaders defended or decried these deadly planes?
Residents count the cost of violence after black American teenager shot dead by white Missouri police officer.
EU's poorest member state is struggling to cope with an influx of mostly war-weary Syrian refugees.
Study says tipping point reached as poachers kill 7 percent of African elephants annually; birth rate is 5 percent.
Zimbabwe's leader given rotating chairmanship of 15-member nation bloc a year after he won disputed presidential polls.
join our mailing list