[QODLink]
Europe
Serb nationalist could be force-fed
UN tribunal orders Dutch authorities to intervene in hunger strike of Serbian leader.
Last Modified: 07 Dec 2006 04:43 GMT
Vojislav Seselj is suspected of war crimes
The UN war crimes tribunal has ordered the Dutch authorities to intervene if necessary to stop Vojislav Seselj, the Serbian ultranationalist, dying from a hunger strike.
 
Seselj, 52, stopped eating 26 days ago after the court assigned him a defence lawyer against his wishes.
 
The tribunal on Wednesday ordered steps to keep Seselj alive, including possible drip-feeding, as long as they did not contravene "compelling internationally accepted standards of medical ethics or binding rules of international law".

"There is a prevailing interest in continuing with the trial of the accused in order to serve the ends of justice," the court trying Seselj said in an urgent order to the Dutch authorities.
   
"The trial, which is suspended until further notice, should not be undermined by the accused's manipulative behaviour."
   
War crimes

It noted that Seselj had repeatedly shown "deep disregard" for the tribunal, which he has compared to "the inquisition" and called "the international bastard of the great powers".
   
Seselj is on trial on charges of war crimes against non-Serbs in the 1990s in alliance Slobodan Milosevic, the former Yugoslav president, who died of a heart attack in his cell in March just months before his trial was expected to end.
    
Seselj has refused food and medication but is drinking water. His party says he can no longer stand upright unsupported.
 
Seselj was moved from the tribunal's detention centre to a Dutch prison hospital last week and his trial was adjourned.
   
Serbian sources says the volatile politician has lost at least 25kg.
   
Political repercussion

The death of Seselj would likely have political repercussions in Serbia, where his opposition Radicals are the strongest party with the support of roughly one-third of voters, heading for a January 21 parliamentary election.
   
In Belgrade, Serbia appealed to the UN court to let him defend himself, instead of trying to force-feed him.
   
In an appeal to the court, Srdjan Djuric, a Serbian government spokesman, said: "Approval would let Seselj defend himself as he sees fit, and it would end also his hunger strike, which would protect his most important right - the right to live."
   
Seselj surrendered to The Hague tribunal in 2003 and pleaded not guilty to war crimes. He has routinely disrupted pre-trial proceedings, insulting judges.

The court said he had made "several and often changing" demands related to his hunger strike, some of which have already been addressed such as demands for unlimited visits by his wife.

Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
People
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
UNHCR says hundreds of people trapped in Yaloke town risk death if they are not evacuated to safety urgently.
'Justice for All' demonstrations swell across the US over the deaths of African Americans in police encounters.
Six former Guantanamo detainees are now free in Uruguay with some hailing the decision to grant them asylum.
Disproportionately high number of Aboriginal people in prison highlights inequality and marginalisation, critics say.
Featured
Long-standing dispute over Christian use of the word 'Allah' raises concerns about a very un-Merry Christmas.
The threat posed by ISIL has prompted thousands of young Kurds to join the PKK.
Baja California - with its own grim history of disappeared people - finds a voice in the fight against violence.
Russian feminist rockers fight system holding 700,000 - the world's largest per capita prison population after the US.
Weeks of growing protests against Muslims continue in Dresden with 15,000 hitting the streets last Monday.