[QODLink]
Asia-Pacific

Indicted tycoon Kim Dotcom launches new site

Defiant German-born internet entrepreneur unveils "Mega" site on anniversary of his arrest on US racketeering charges.
Last Modified: 20 Jan 2013 04:54

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom has launched a new file-sharing website, promising users amped-up privacy levels in a
defiant move against the US prosecutors who accuse him of facilitating massive online piracy.


The colourful entrepreneur unveiled the "Mega" site ahead of a lavish gala and press conference planned at his New Zealand mansion on Sunday night, the anniversary of his arrest on racketeering charges related to his now-shuttered Megaupload file-sharing site.

Megaupload, which Dotcom started in 2005, was one of the most popular sites on the web until US prosecutors
shut it down, accusing Dotcom and several company officials of facilitating millions of illegal downloads.

"As of this minute one year ago [hash]Megaupload was destroyed by the US Government," Dotcom posted on his Twitter
account as the new site went live. Within hours, Dotcom wrote, Mega had received 250,000 user registrations.

US authorities are trying to extradite the German-born internet tycoon from New Zealand, where he is free on bail.

Prosecutors say Dotcom made tens of millions of dollars while filmmakers and songwriters lost around $500m in copyright revenue.

'Burning websites'

Dotcom argues that he can't be held responsible for copyright infringement committed by others, and insists Megaupload complied with copyrights by removing links to pirated material when asked.

"In the dark ages ... the enemies of progress burned books,'' Dotcom said last week at an Auckland ice cream shop, where he handed out ice cream cups, some bearing Willy Wonka-style golden tickets to his launch party.

"And now today they are burning websites. And Mega is going to be the website that is going to end all of that.''

US prosecutors declined to comment on the new site, referring only to a court document that cites several promises Dotcom made while seeking bail that he would not, and could not, start a Megaupload-style business until the criminal case was resolved.

"I can assure the Court that I have no intention and there is no risk of my reactivating the Megaupload.com website or establishing a similar internet-based business during the period until the resolution of the extradition proceedings,'' Dotcom said in a February 15, 2012, affidavit.

356

Source:
Agencies
Topics in this article
People
Country
City
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
Muslim volunteers face questioning and threat of arrest, while aid has been disrupted or blocked, charities say.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
ISIL combatants seeking an 'exit strategy' from Mideast conflict need positive reinforcement back home, analysts say.
European nation hit by a wave of Islamophobia as many young fighters join ISIL in Syria and Iraq.
Featured
Lack of child protection laws means abandoned and orphaned kids rely heavily on the care of strangers.
At least 25 tax collectors have been killed since 2012 in Mogadishu, a city awash in weapons and abject poverty.
Since she was 16-years-old, Scottish Nationalist Party's Sturgeon has strove for independence from the UK.
Armed group's ransom success with German hostages marks a re-emergence, as authorities investigate ISIL links.
Western nations are moving into the resource-rich country after decades of disinterest, challenging China's interests.