Libyan on trial over US embassy attacks dies

Abu Anas al-Liby, charged over 1998 bombings in East Africa, was due to go on trial in New York in days.

    A Libyan charged over the 1998 al-Qaeda bombings of US embassies in East Africa has died, days before he was to stand trial in New York, his lawyer said.

    Abu Anas al-Liby, 50, was on the Federal Bureau of Investigation's most-wanted list with a $5m bounty on his head when he was captured by US troops in the Libyan capital Tripoli in October 2013.

    He and Saudi businessman Khalid al-Fawwaz were due to stand trial on January 12 over the attacks in Kenya and Tanzania that killed 224 people and wounded more than 5,000.

    But al-Liby, a computer expert, died at a hospital in the New York area on Friday, his lawyer Bernard Kleinman told The Washington Post , saying the health of his client - who had advanced liver cancer - had deteriorated  significantly in the last month.

    Liby and Fawwaz both previously pleaded not guilty to conspiracy charges.

    A third suspect, Egyptian Adel Abdel Bary, last year pleaded guilty to playing a role in the 1998 attacks.

    Liby, who also suffered from hepatitis C, told a federal court in Manhattan in October that he had been on hunger strike when questioned by FBI agents - during which he made an incriminating statement.

    Looking pale and thin, and speaking very quietly through a translator, Liby told the court that he told "anyone who asked" that he was on a hunger strike.

    He was detained by US commandos on October 5, 2013 and interrogated on board a US warship before being handed over to FBI agents on October 12.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Apart from being disastrous for Palestine, normalising relations with Israel could get Saudi Arabia in real trouble.

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    With female foeticide still widespread, one woman tells her story of being mutilated for giving birth to her daughters.

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    There are reports Saudi Arabia is demanding money from the senior officials it recently arrested.