[QODLink]
Americas

US stops force-feeding Guantanamo inmate

US Department of Defence says it will comply with temporary ruling regarding hunger-striking Syrian prisoner.

Last updated: 17 May 2014 07:23
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Guantanamo prisoners have engaged in hunger strikes in protest at their confinement [Al Jazeera]

A US judge has ordered the military to stop force-feeding a hunger-striking prisoner at Guantanamo Bay naval base.

The temporary order, issued on Friday by Judge Gladys Kessler, means that staff cannot feed Syrian prisoner Abu Wa'el Dhiab until a hearing next Wednesday.

"While the department follows the law and only applies enteral feeding in order to preserve life, we will, of course, comply with the judge's order here," said Todd Breasseale, a defence department spokesman. 

Kessler also ordered the US military to stop taking Dhiab out his cell if he refused to go to feedings and said the government had to keep all videotape evidence of forcible cell removal and force-feeding until the hearing.

It is the first time a judge has ordered an end to force-feeding of a prisoner in Guantanamo.

Last year about 46 of 166 prisoners were force-fed at least some of their meals while they were on a hunger strike and several sued, the Reuters news agency reported.

'Highly disturbing'

Cori Crider, one of Dhiab’s lawyers and the strategic director at the UK-based campaign group Reprieve, said: "Despite Gitmo’s media blackout on information about force-feeding and brutal ‘forcible cell extractions’, we’ve managed to get some key information out.

"Everything we’ve learned is highly disturbing. JTF-GTMO also has a history of losing inconvenient evidence, including similar tapes of the Gitmo riot squad, so let’s hope that these recordings don’t go the way of the waterboarding tapes before them."

Reprieve has accused the US government of "strongly resisting efforts" to secure a court order preserving the videos.

Force-feeding is designed to keep hunger strikers alive and involves feeding them liquid meals via tubes inserted into their noses and down into their stomachs.

Dhiab, 42, has been held at Guantanamo without charge since August 2002.

291

Source:
Reuters
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback
Topics in this article
People
Country
Organisation
Featured on Al Jazeera
Muslim volunteers face questioning and threat of arrest, while aid has been disrupted or blocked, charities say.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
ISIL combatants seeking an 'exit strategy' from Mideast conflict need positive reinforcement back home, analysts say.
European nation hit by a wave of Islamophobia as many young fighters join ISIL in Syria and Iraq.
Featured
Lacking cohesive local ground forces to attack in tandem, coalition air strikes will have limited effect, experts say.
Hindu right-wing groups run campaign against what they say is Muslim conspiracy to convert Hindu girls into Islam.
Six months on, outrage and sorrow over the mass schoolgirl abduction has disappeared - except for families in Nigeria.
Muslim caretakers maintain three synagogues in eastern Indian city, which was once home to a thriving Jewish community.
Amid fresh ISIL gains, officials in Anbar province have urged the Iraqi government to request foreign ground troops.