At least six people were killed and two wounded after an attacker opened fire at an education department building in southern Saudi Arabia, a top Saudi official and state media have said.
Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman General Mansour Turki said that authorities were treating Thursday's attack in the kingdom's Jizan province as criminal.
He added that one suspect had been arrested.
Initial reports said the attacker was a teacher who had opened fire on colleagues.
But officials did not confirm later if he was a teacher, referring to him simply as the gunman.
The identity and motive of the suspect were unclear.
State TV posted a still photograph that showed ambulances gathered outside the building where the shooting took place.