Australia on course for an Ashes sweep

Australia looked on course for a 5-0 Ashes sweep when they reached 140 for four, a lead of 311, at stumps on day two.

Chris Rogers' quick, unbeaten 73 set up Australia's lead on the second day of the fifth and final Test [Getty Images]

A dominant Australia looked firmly on course for a 5-0 Ashes series sweep when they reached 140 for four, a lead of 311, at close of play after skittling England for 155 on the second day of the fifth Test.

Chris Rogers, who had made an unbeaten 73, and George Bailey, 20 not out, will resume on day three on Sunday looking to further inflate the lead before Australia unleash their pace attack on the hapless tourists.

England’s bowlers made inroads into the Australian batting order in the final session to contribute to the 13 wickets to fall at the Sydney Cricket Ground but the day was defined by a first hour that left the tourists reeling at 23-5.

While a dispirited England had once again contributed to their own batting downfall, Mitchell Johnson (3-33), Ryan Harris (3-36) and Peter Siddle (3-23) played decisive roles with another display of top quality pace bowling.

Second day scorecard

Australia first innings 326 
England first innings 155

Australia second innings

C Rogers not out 73
D Warner lbw b Anderson 16
S Watson c Bairstow b Anderson 9
M Clarke c Bairstow b Broad 6
S Smith c Cook b Stokes 7
G Bailey not out 20

Extras: (lb 9) 9
Total: (4 wickets; 30 overs) 140

Fall of wickets: 1-27, 2-47, 3-72, 4-91

Australia had made 326 in their first-innings before reducing England to 8-1 overnight and drove home their advantage by ripping through England’s top order in the early blitz.

It was Harris who started the carnage with the second ball of the day when England captain Alastair Cook inexplicably padded up to an inswinger and was trapped leg before for seven.

Harris could have had a second wicket with his next delivery when Ian Bell edged the ball behind only for Shane Watson to fluff a reasonably easy catch in the slips.

Nightwatchman James Anderson braved a couple of overs of short bowling before departing, also for seven, after finding the edge with a stab at a fuller length Johnson delivery, which Michael Clarke leapt to claim in the cordon.

Kevin Pietersen lasted just nine balls and 12 minutes before being dismissed for three courtesy of another edge to the slips from a Harris delivery, which Watson took this time after a juggle.

With England now 17-4 after just 32 minutes of play, Bell did his best to dig in.

He took 42 minutes to get off the mark but had just two runs on the board 14 minutes later when a superb delivery from Siddle had him caught behind by Brad Haddin.

Debutant Gary Ballance (18) went just after lunch before Jonny Bairstow (18) and Ben Stokes (47) offered some resistance in a partnership of 49 for the seventh wicket.

When they were dismissed in one Siddle over, though, England’s hopes of any kind of respectable score went with them.

England saved the follow-on and looked like they might just scramble to tea but Johnson returned to the fray and clean bowled Boyd Rankin, the third of the England new caps, for 13 to end the innings and bring up the break.

Stuart Broad, welcomed to the crease by a chorus of boos, scored 30 not out in a late flourish but England needed him to shine with the ball if they had any hope of saving the test.

Anderson made the first breakthroughs for the tourists, though, trapping Dave Warner lbw on his back foot for 16 and having Watson caught behind for nine.

Source: Reuters