Scores die in Thai nightclub fire | News | Al Jazeera

Scores die in Thai nightclub fire

Electrical fault is said to have caused blaze at New Year's Eve celebration.

    The packed nightclub had only one exit and bars over several of the windows [EPA] 

    He added that more bodies were thought to be in the fire-gutted building and the death toll could rise.

    As well as Thai nationals, the dead are thought to include a number of foreigners.

    Police officials said causes of death included burns, smoke inhalation and injuries during the stampede to escape from the club.

    The building had only one door for entry and exit and bars across several of the windows made escape difficult.

    The roof of the building collapsed as a result of the fire.

    Local television stations variously reported the cause of the blaze as a firework set off in the New Year celebrations and an electrical fault at the club.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    America's Guns: Secret Pipeline to Syria

    America's Guns: Secret Pipeline to Syria

    How has the international arms trade exacerbated conflict in the Middle East? People and Power investigates.

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    In 1959, a year before Nigeria's independence, a 23-year-old student helped colour the country's identity.