Plot to arrest Sudan minister fails

War crimes suspect evades arrest after hearing of International Criminal Court plan.

    Harun is wanted by the war crimes court for
    alleged crimes against humanity [AP]
    "There was a country ready to receive the plane once it was diverted, but he was tipped off and got off the plane. So he never went to Mecca."

     

    The last Hajj pilgrimage took place between December 17-21 last year.

     

    Saudi 'awareness'

    Olara did not name the countries that were involved in the operation and gave no further details on the plan.

    However, she said that Saudi Arabia was aware of the ICC operation.

    Riyadh, which is not a signatory to the ICC statute, would not have been legally obliged to arrest Harun if he had arrived there, experts in international law have said.

    Speaking in Khartoum, Harun told Al Jazeera that the ICC had revealed itself to be a group of "pirates, terrorists and criminals".

    "First, it seems that this unrespectable court acts in a criminal way ... Second, this court is unrespectable as it does not search for the truth, but keeps lying. The evidence to this is that I have not intended nor planned to perform Hajj.

    "I was busy with the activities of the six-party committee which was working on resolving the political crisis in the country at that time.

    "The third proof that discloses the lack of this court's information is its primitive vision towards the situation in Sudan. We are a respectable country."

    Harun said Sudan does "not accuse any specific country" of involvement in the ICC plot, which he called "an attempt to spark strife".

    ICC warrants

    The ICC issued arrest warrants for Harun and Ali Kushayb, a Sudanese militia commander, in April 2007.

    They are wanted on 51 counts of crimes against humanity and war crimes, including incitement to murder, rape, torture, and the forced displacement of civilians in the western region of Darfur.

    Earlier this week, Sudan said it would not answer the ICC's call that the two men be handed over.

    At least 200,000 people have died and 2.5 million have been driven from their homes in Darfur since a rebellion erupted there five years ago, experts have estimated.

    Khartoum dismisses the figures, saying that 10,000 people have died in the region.

    Luis Moreno Ocampo, the chief ICC prosecutor, told the UN Security Council on Thursday that he would seek more indictments next month against Sudanese officials.

    He said that Khartoum's "entire state apparatus" was involved in crimes perpetrated in Darfur.

    The Sudanese government has been accused of having direct links to Arab janjiwid militia responsible for atrocities in Darfur.

    Khartoum denies any such relationship.

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    From Qatar to Alaska, a personal journey exploring what it means to belong when your culture is endangered.