Few clues yet from damaged black boxes of China Eastern crash

Preliminary report on March crash of Boeing 737-800 that left 132 people dead says analysis of recorders is continuing.

Recovery teams in white suits dotted around a muddy hillside against a forest as they pay a silent tribute to those who died on the China Eastern plane that crashed in Wuzhou, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China, in March 2022.
All 132 people on board MU5735 were killed when it plunged to the ground in March. China says analyss of the black boxes to find the cause of the crash is continuing [File: cnsphoto via Reuters]

China has said the black box flight recorders of a plane that crashed last month were badly damaged and have yet to provide any clues to explain the aircraft’s sudden plunge into a wooded hillside, killing all 132 passengers and crew.

China Eastern flight MU5735 was on its way from Kunming to Guangzhou on March 21 when it dropped from its cruising altitude into the mountains of Guangxi in the southern part of China. The crash of the Boeing 737-800 was China’s first fatal air crash since 2010.

Summarising its preliminary crash report on Wednesday, the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) did not include any information from the cockpit voice and data recorders, which have been sent to Washington, DC, for analysis.

“The two recorders on the plane were severely damaged due to the impact, and the data restoration and analysis work is still in progress,” CAAC said in a statement.

Most accidents are caused by a mix of technical and human factors.

The commission gave no indication of the focus of its investigation but it noted that the crew were qualified, the jet was properly maintained, the weather was fine and no dangerous goods were on board.

In a potentially key finding, it said most of the wreckage was concentrated in one area.

Safety analysts said that would not typically happen in the event of a catastrophic midair break-up or explosion, but did not rule out parts being torn off in the dive after CAAC said part of one wingtip was found 12 km (8 miles) away.

“Two questions you’d have to look at: did that piece coming off cause the dive or did the dive cause that piece to go off,” said Anthony Brickhouse, an air safety expert at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida.

Chinese aviation expert Li Xiaojin said in the absence of other findings, data from black boxes was vital. It could take at least a year for the investigation to be concluded, he added.

“These boxes are designed to be really, really robust,” Brickhouse said. “I really can’t think of an accident in recent history where we found the boxes and we didn’t get information from them.”


No Max link

The 737-800 is a predecessor to the 737 MAX, which has not resumed commercial service in China more than three years after two fatal crashes.

But China Eastern, which grounded its entire fleet of 223 737-800 planes after the March crash, resumed those commercial flights on Sunday, effectively ruling out any immediate new safety concern over Boeing’s previous and still most widely used model.

A US official noted that no safety bulletins or other advisories had been issued by Boeing in the wake of the crash.

In its summary, CAAC did not point to any technical recommendations on the 737-800, which has been in service since 1997 with a strong safety record, according to experts. It does not have the cockpit system at the centre of the MAX crisis.

Boeing declined to comment on the CAAC statement but said it would continue to support the crash investigation.

The Chinese agency said it had completed the preliminary report within the limit of 30 days. Such reports are usually made public, though they do not have to be under global rules.

China does not have a tradition of publishing widely accessible accident reports, but the statement marks a step towards transparency that has been credited with making flying safer worldwide, Paul Hayes, director of air safety at UK-based Ascend by Cirium, said.

CAAC said the last normal call from controllers to the plane was at 2:16pm local time (06:16 GMT) while it was cruising at 29,200 feet, less than six minutes before the plane disappeared from radar.

Brickhouse said it had appeared the flight was progressing normally and communications were normal.

“And then all of a sudden, the aircraft wasn’t communicating and that’s when it started diving.”

Source: Reuters