New leaks detected in Japan’s Fukushima plant

TEPCO says the latest leak involves a tank being used to take water from one of the two that were previously leaking.

TEPCO says up to 120 tonnes might have leaked from one tank and smaller amount from two more [Reuters]

The operator of Japan’s crippled nuclear power plant says that it has detected a fresh leak of radioactive water from one of the facility’s storage tanks.

Tokyo Electric Power Co, or TEPCO, previously said two of seven huge underground tanks at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant had been leaking since Saturday if not earlier.

The latest leak involves a tank that was being used to take water from one of the two that were leaking, Masayuki Ono, TEPCO spokesman, said on Tuesday.

Up to 120 tonnes might have leaked from one of the tanks and a smaller amount from the other two, but none of the radioactive water was believed to have reached the ocean, he said.

TEPCO has halted the transfer of water to the third tank, diverting it to a fourth tank that remains intact. Two of the seven tanks are currently unused.

Ono said TEPCO has decided to stop using the two most damaged of the three leaking tanks as soon as they are emptied, but will use the other because of a tank shortage.

“We admit that the underground tanks are not reliable,” Ono said.

“But we must keep using some of them that are relatively in good shape while monitoring them closely. We just don’t have enough tanks on the ground that can accommodate the water.”

Contaminated water

The tanks are crucial to the management of contaminated water used to cool melted fuel rods at the plant’s reactors, which were damaged in March 2011 by an earthquake and tsunami.

They have since stabilised significantly but the melted fuel inside must be kept cool with water, which leaks out of the
reactors’ holes and ruptures and flows into basement areas.

Plant workers are scrambling to find extra tanks at the plans and believe they can find space from unused containers and underground tanks.

The plant is being decommissioned but continues to experience glitches.

A fuel storage pool temporarily lost its cooling system Friday, less than a month after the plant suffered a more extensive outage caused by a rat that short-circuited a switchboard, cutting off power to four storage pools for fuel rods and other key facilities.

The spate of problems has triggered public outcry and renewed doubts about the plant’s safety.

Naomi Hirose, TEPCO president, headed to Fukushima on Tuesday to inspect the latest problems and address the concerns.

Regulatory officials said TEPCO was too slow in detecting earlier signs of leaks and disclosing the problems.

Source: News Agencies