Israel continues its operations in the West Bank after a ceasefire begins in Gaza.
“We have agreed, though it has not yet been officially released”
Israeli diplomatic source
“Basically, we have agreed, though it has not yet been officially released,” the source said. “The request came through before the ceasefire, but certainly this [deployment] could boost the truce.”
Lieutenant-General Keith Dayton, the US security coordinator in the region, told an Israeli newspaper last week that the idea of redeploying the Badr Brigade “makes sense both from the military as well as from the political point of view”.
Hamas has created its own militia in the Gaza Strip, the 6,000-strong “Executive Force”.
After the truce was declared by Olmert and Abbas on Sunday, the Palestinian government posted thousands of police along the Gaza frontier to rockets being fired into Israel.
The ceasefire has not been extended to the occupied West Bank where Israeli military operations have continued.
Ismail Haniya, the Palestinian prime minister, is on his first foreign trip since he took office in March.
Meanwhile, a senior Palestinian official said Abbas would meet Condoleezza Rice, the US secretary of state, in the West Bank on Thursday to discuss the truce in the Gaza Strip.
An Israeli source said there were no plans for her to meet Ehud Olmert, the Israeli prime minister.