Annan: US invasion of Iraq was illegal

United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan has described the US-led invasion of Iraq as illegal and a violation of the UN charter.

    The war did not have the backing of the UN Security Council

    In an interview with BBC on Wednesday, Annan also expressed fears that holding credible elections in Iraq might not be possible as planned in January 2005, in view of the escalating violence.

    "I am one of those who believe that there should have been a second resolution from the UN Security Council to green-light the US-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein's regime," Annan said.

    "I have indicated that it was not in conformity with the UN charter from our point of view, and from the charter point of view it was illegal," he said.

    US transgression

    Annan stressed it was for the Security Council to act on UN resolutions to compel Saddam to abandon the pursuit of weapons of mass destruction.

    "I have indicated that it was not in conformity with the UN charter from our point of view, and from the charter point of view it was illegal"

    Kofi Annan,
    UN secretary general



    "It was up to the Security Council to approve or determine what those consequences should be," he said.

    He added that the US decision to go ahead and invade Iraq, with British forces at its side, "was not in conformity with the Security Council, with the UN charter".

    Asked if he meant that the decision to invade was illegal, Annan replied: "Yes, if you wish."

    The secretary general also had a grim forecast for Iraq, saying the current level of violence and unrest made credible elections early next year look highly unlikely.

    "I think there have been lessons for the US and lessons for the UN and other member states," he said.

    "I think that, in the end, everybody's concluded that it is best to work together with our allies and through the UN to deal with some of these issues," Annan said.

    "I hope we do not see another Iraq-type operation for a long time."

    Reactions

    Meanwhile, Britain, Australia and a former US official, insisted on Thursday that their countries' military action in Iraq was legal. 

    "The legal advice that we had, and I tabled it at the time, was that the action was entirely valid in international law terms," Australian Prime Minister John Howard told Australian radio. 

    John Howard: The action was
    entirely valid

    Howard's view was echoed by Prime Minister Tony Blair's office, which said the British government's top lawyer - Attorney-General Lord Goldsmith - had reached the same conclusion before the invasion was launched in March last year. 

    British Trade Secretary Patricia Hewitt said she respected Annan, but disagreed with him. "We spelt out at the time our reasons for believing the conflict in Iraq was indeed lawful and why we believed it was necessary," she said. 

    There was no official response from Washington, but Randy Scheunemann, a former adviser to US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, said Annan had no right to question the legal judgment of UN member states. 

    "To do this 51 days before an American election reeks of political interference," he told the BBC.     

    Poland, another staunch backer of US-led military action in Iraq, insisted the invasion was legal, listing UN resolutions relating to Iraq. 

    "It must be said that the decision which the international
    community took on Iraq had a legal basis," the Polish Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    The US exaggerating and obsessing about foreign threats seems quite similar to what is happening in Russia.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months