Saudi security busts Islamist cells

Saudi authorities have broken up seven cells that form the backbone of an armed Islamist network in the kingdom, with barely two cells remaining.

    Saudi authorities have clamped on Islamists following recent blasts

    The Arabic al-Hayat newspaper on Thursday quoting a senior Saudi security source reported that the seven cells were broken up in recent months with "only a small number remaining, accounting for less than two cells." 

      

    The source also said that a Saudi suspect captured last week by Saudi security forces, and officially announced on Wednesday, was a "dangerous" member of the cell that allegedly carried out the 8 November attack on al-Muhaya residential compound in Riyadh, killing 17 people.

      

    The Saudi suspect is also a member of Usama bin Ladin's al-Qaida network, the source added.

     

    Seized

      

    A Saudi interior minister official said in a statement on Wednesday that a Sa-7 missile, four rocket-propelled grenades and a vast quantity of other arms and ammunition were also seized in the suspect's arrest.

      

    On Monday, Saudi Arabia named two of its nationals who it said carried out the al-Muhaya attack.

      

    Two Saudis accused in al-Muhaya
    attack

    The US embassy in Riyadh on Tuesday warned of possible attacks on residential compounds in the kingdom which it said had been actively surveyed by "terrorist elements."

      

    The interior ministry said last week it had foiled a "massive attack" that had the ingredients of al-Muhaya blast, killing two of the "terrorists" in a clash north of the capital.

      

    Al-Qaida purportedly claimed responsibility for al-Muhaya attack in a statement sent by one of its presumed operatives to a Saudi magazine on 11 November.

     

    Saudi Arabia launched a massive crackdown on suspected al-Qaida members after bombings of residential compounds in Riyadh on 12 May that left 35 people dead.

      

    Hundreds of suspected Islamists had been detained and authorities had reported seizing several large arms caches across the vast kingdom in recent months.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    From Qatar to Alaska, a personal journey exploring what it means to belong when your culture is endangered.