World football’s governing body FIFA will further review the awarding of hosting rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup events, putting the status of hosts Russia and Qatar back in question.
FIFA said on Thursday that Domenico Scala, the independent chairman of its financial monitoring panel, will study US prosecutor Michael Garcia’s 430-page report into allegations of widespread corruption.
Scala would then recommend details of the confidential dossier for discussion by FIFA’s executive committee.
“It is of major importance that the FIFA executive committee has the information necessary to evaluate which steps are required based on the work done by the FIFA ethics committee,” a FIFA statement said.
Garcia, who wanted his report to be made public, criticised ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert’s 42-page report clearing the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts.
Eckert’s findings, which were released last week, were based on Garcia’s investigation.
Despite finding wrongdoing among the 11 bidding nations, Eckert said the integrity of the December 2010 votes was not affected.
Garcia appealed Eckert’s decision last week to close the case against Russia and Qatar, and formally opened proceedings against some individuals, FIFA said.
FIFA’s executive committee, including members implicated by Garcia, will meet over December 18 and 19 in Marrakech, Morocco.