South Africa stuffed after tea

Smith and Kallis fall in quick succession as hosts reach 175-5 before bad light stops play.

Broad trapped Amla lbw [AFP]

Graeme Smith and Jacques Kallis led South Africa to 151 for two at tea on the first day of the second Test against England before both fell in quick succession after the restart in Durban.

The experienced duo rescued their side from the loss of two early wickets before being dismissed for the same score of 75.

JP Duminy then went lbw to Graham Onions to leave South Africa rocking on 170-5 in the final session before bad light stopped play five runs later.

Smith made his 26th Test half-century while Kallis passed fifty for the 52nd time before Kallis was caught by Paul Collingwood off Graeme Swann while Smith lost his wicket in a mixup, run out by Alastair Cook.

South Africa had an early scare after winning the toss when England removed Ashwell Prince and Hashim Amla to leave the hosts reeling on 10 for two. 

Opening bowler Jimmy Anderson got the tourists off to a fine start on Saturday by making a good-length delivery leap off the pitch at Ashwell Prince, which the left-hander could only edge to Swann at third slip.

Hashim Amla then played across the line to a beautifully pitched delivery from Stuart Broad to be out lbw for two – the same score as Prince.

Pace and bounce

Day one scorecard

South Africa first innings
G Smith run out (Cook) 75
A Prince c Swann b Anderson 2
H Amla lbw b Broad 2
J Kallis c Collingwood b Swann 75
A de Villiers not out 8
J Duminy lbw b Onions 4
M Boucher not out 1
Extras 8

Total (for 5; 61 overs) 175
FoW 1-3, 2-10, 3-160, 4-166, 5-170

England’s fast bowlers held sway for the first hour on a pitch that always threatened the batsmen with its pace and bounce.

South Africa scored just 15 runs in the first 13 overs but the softening of the ball, combined with the hot sun and a north-easterly wind, allowed conditions to ease as Smith and Kallis increased the run-rate in the second hour.

Smith was struck a painful blow on the left hand by Anderson and required lengthy treatment, reviving memories of the Test against Australia at Kingsmead in March when Mitchell Johnson broke the skipper’s right hand.

The first Test of the four-match series ended in a draw at Centurion on Sunday.

Source : News Agencies


More from Sports
Most Read