Nadal pulls out of new tennis league

'Health problems' force Spaniard to be replaced by Swiss Roger Federer in the Indian franchise of the IPTL.

    Nadal missed this year's US Open due to injury [AFP]
    Nadal missed this year's US Open due to injury [AFP]

    Roger Federer has agreed to step in and replace old foe Rafa Nadal in the Indian franchise of the inaugural International Premier Tennis League (IPTL).

    Fourteen-time grand slam winner Nadal dealt a big blow to the fledgling tournament by pulling out because of "health problems" hours before Federer, the winner of a record 17 slam titles, stepped in despite initially appearing apprehensive of the league.

    "I'm really looking forward to making my first trip to New Delhi and playing for the Micromax Indian aces," Federer said in a recorded message.

    Federer joins retired American Pete Sampras, winner of 14 grand slam titles, in the Indian franchise of the four-team event, scheduled to be played from November 28.

    Philippines, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates are home to the other teams and will each host a leg of the competition, styled on cricket's Indian Premier League and offering prize money of $29.7m.

    The 28-year-old Nadal missed the US Open last month after failing to recover from a right wrist injury he sustained in practice.

    "I am very disappointed to announce that I will not be part of the first edition of the IPTL," Nadal said. "I was looking forward to representing Indian Aces and playing in front of fans in New Delhi in the exciting new League."

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    The US exaggerating and obsessing about foreign threats seems quite similar to what is happening in Russia.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months