Qatar again defends FIFA World Cup bid

Qatar 2022 committee official says it followed 'highest ethical standards' and reiterates it will host World Cup.

    Organisers of Qatar's successful bid to host the 2022 football World Cup have once again denied any wrongdoing in the build-up to the bidding process for the tournament and are confident that it will take place in Middle Eastern country.

    An investigation into the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups was carried out by FIFA's ethics committee following allegations of bribery and corruption. There have also been calls for Qatar to be stripped of the hosting rights in wake of those allegations.

    "We are not worried, we are confident that the World Cup will take place in Qatar," Nasser Al Khater, Qatar 2022 Communications Director, told Al Jazeera.

    "Qatar is part of the investigation and so is Russia [2018]. The whole process is part of that. It's unfortunate that people single out Qatar every time they discuss it.

    "We have held ourselves to the highest ethical standards. We believe in it, we are confident of it and we are confident of how we have behaved."

    Britain's Sunday Times reported last month that some of the "millions of documents" it had seen linked payments by former FIFA executive committee member, Mohamed Bin Hammam, a Qatari, to officials in order to win backing for the 2022 World Cup bid.

    Khater, though, reiterated the stance that Bin Hammam was not representing the Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee.

    "He was an executive committee member like the rest of the 23 executive committee members that were present at the time. We had to engage with him, as we had to engage with everybody else. He was not part of our bid.  Did he represent us?  Not at all."

    FIFA President Sepp Blatter has previously labelled the criticism against Qatar as "racist".

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Death from above: Every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Death from above: Every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and a coalition of Arab states have launched more than 19,278 air raids across Yemen.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Curate an art exhibition and survive Thailand's censorship crackdown in this interactive game.