United reject Chelsea bid for Rooney

Despite Man United manager David Moyes insisting Wayne Rooney will stay at club, rumours are rife that a move is coming.

    United reject Chelsea bid for Rooney
    In the eye of a media storm: Rooney's future remains unclear after reported friction between club and player [EPA]

    Manchester United have rejected a bid from English Premier League rivals Chelsea for Wayne Rooney, British media reported on Wednesday.

    The Daily Mail, the domestic Press Association news agency and Sky Sports News television said that the league champions had turned down an offer from the west London club, without quoting sources.

    It's hard to keep repeating myself but I will do - Wayne's a Manchester United player and will remain that

    David Moyes, Manchester United manager

    Television pictures on Sky Sports News showed Rooney arriving at the club's training ground in northwest England. The channel added that United 'immediately rejected' Chelsea's offer.

    Reports said the Blues offered $15.1 million plus either Juan Mata or David Luiz in exchange.

    Rooney, 27, has been at the centre of speculation about a possible move away from Old Trafford ever since he made a transfer request just before the departure of former boss Alex Ferguson at the end of last season.

    Earlier this month, the Daily Mail claimed that Chelsea had made a $90 million offer for the striker.

    Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho last week stopped short of stating that he hoped to sign the England international, saying only that he liked Rooney "very, very much".

    But new United manager David Moyes hit back this week, repeating that Rooney was not for sale.

    "It's hard to keep repeating myself but I will do - Wayne's a Manchester United player and will remain that," he said in Bangkok, where United are on a pre-season tour.

    Rooney, however, was on Tuesday reported to be "angry and confused" by later comments from Moyes that he would be used as back-up to striker Robin van Persie next season.

     

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Death from above: Every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Death from above: Every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and a coalition of Arab states have launched more than 19,278 air raids across Yemen.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Curate an art exhibition and survive Thailand's censorship crackdown in this interactive game.