Luis Suarez accepts 10-match ban

Liverpool's Luis Suarez will not be appealing against lengthy ban set by English FA for biting opponent.

    Luis Suarez accepts 10-match ban
    Liverpool's star player is said to be questioning future as he is ruled out until September [AP]

    Liverpool striker Luis Suarez on Friday chose not to appeal his 10-match ban for biting an opponent during a Premier League game.

    The Football Association said Suarez's suspension will begin immediately, meaning he will miss the last four games of this season and the first six of the next.

    The Uruguay international was handed one of English football's harshest penalties for on-the-field misbehavior for biting Branislav Ivanovic's arm during Liverpool's 2-2 draw with Chelsea on Sunday.

    Suarez could have appealed against the decision of an independent panel to add seven games to the regular three for violent conduct, which the FA deemed insufficient.

    Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said the punishment was given 'against the man rather than the incident,' with Suarez having previously been suspended for seven matches for biting an opponent in a Dutch league game in 2010 and also for eight games for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra in 2011.

    Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina said he felt the ban is 'absurd, out of proportion and unfair.'

    However, British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Friday that Suarez has set an 'appalling' example to youngsters by biting a fellow player and welcomed the tough sanction.

    The FA said it will release the independent panel's written reasons in due course.

    SOURCE: AP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    Why America's Russia hysteria is dangerous

    The US exaggerating and obsessing about foreign threats seems quite similar to what is happening in Russia.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months