Mourinho still playing it coy over future

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho - who is being linked to Chelsea - says he is neither 'sad or unhappy' at Bernabeu.

    Mourinho still playing it coy over future
    Mourinho says he has a good relationship with Real Madrid president and sporting director [AP]

    Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho on Friday admitted that reported comments claiming his future lay away from the Spanish club were accurate but denied that he was "sad or unhappy" at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Earlier this week, press in Spain widely reported comments by Manuel Alvarez, the president of CD Canillas, a club from the north of Madrid where Mourinho's son is a player.

    Alvarez claimed that during a chat with Canillas coaching staff on Monday, Mourinho announced he would not be in Madrid next year to take part in the annual meeting.

    At his Friday press briefing ahead of Real Madrid's Liga clash with Betis on Saturday, Mourinho verified the comments - but encouraged reporters not to read too much into them.

    "The best thing for us right now is to beat Betis, get to the Champions League final and win the Copa del Rey final, and then after that we can discuss what is best for everyone"

    Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho

    "I can confirm that, when I was asked if I would be here next season, I said, 'I don't think so.' I said that I didn't think I could be there for next year's meeting," said the Portuguese.

    "I am neither unhappy nor sad at Real.

    "I have already said that my relationships with the president (Florentino Perez), with Jose Angel Sanchez (the sporting director), with the club, were good," he continued.

    "Normally, when you get to these situations, there are problems between the club and the coach but here that is not the case because we get on.

    "The best thing for us right now is to beat Betis, get to the Champions League final and win the Copa del Rey final, and then after that we can discuss what is best for everyone."

    Madrid face Borussia Dortmund in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final next week and will face city rivals Atletico in the Copa del Rey final next month.

    Throughout the course of his third season at the club, Mourinho has continually insisted that his future would not be decided until the close season.

    The former Chelsea and Inter Milan coach is under contract until 2016.

    However, last week, Spanish daily El Pais claimed that Chelsea had made an offer to Mourinho in March in a bid to tempt him back for next season.

    The paper added that Mourinho had not yet signed anything because of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's refusal to hand him full responsibility for player recruitment.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    From Qatar to Alaska, a personal journey exploring what it means to belong when your culture is endangered.