Blatter: FIFA will re-examine bribes inquiry

FIFA president Sepp Blatter says external committee will lead an investigation into the collapse of marketing partner.

    Sepp Blatter is taking action to prove FIFA can be trusted to look after football [GALLO/GETTY] 

    FIFA president Sepp Blatter went on the offensive on Friday, hoping his new anti-corruption drive will ease the pressure on his scandal-hit organisation and bring transparency into the world body.

    Blatter, who won a bruising and controversial election battle to see off former Asian football supremo Mohamed bin Hammam earlier this year, said he will create a committee of good governance as well as four new task forces.

    The FIFA chief insisted that this new committee of good governance was essential if reforms agreed by the FIFA Congress in June were to be advanced.

    "This committee will establish necessary anti-corruption measures and codes of conduct," said Blatter.

    The new committee should be made up of 15 people, mostly from the world of football but also containing politicians.

    FIFA has been mired in corruption allegations since June with Blatter's battle with Qatar's Hammam particularly bitter.

    Hammam was eventually banned for life from all football-related activity after being accused of trying to buy votes in the election.

    He has constantly denied the allegations and has vowed to clear his name.

    New probe

    Blatter was determined to come out fighting on Friday at the conclusion of the first executive committee since his re-election.

    "In any family that has hundreds of millions of people as is the case with FIFA, there will be some who are corrupt," he said.

    "What you cannot say is that the whole family is corrupt."

    "In any family that has hundreds of millions of people as is the case with FIFA, there will be some who are corrupt"

    Sepp Blatter

    Blatter also said that he would open a new probe into the collapse of ISL, the former marketing partner of FIFA.

    Documents relating to the International Sport and Leisure group will be re-examined at a December 16 and 17 meeting in an attempt to probe allegations that illegal payments were made to certain FIFA officials in exchange for TV and commercial rights.

    "The executive committee stated its full support for the release of the dossier on the ISL case," said a FIFA statement.

    "However, this can only be done after a thorough legal analysis because of the complexity of the matter.

    "The case will be opened at the next meeting of the Executive Committee in December 2011. It will then be given to an independent body for further examination."

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    'Money can't buy us': Mapping Canada's oil pipeline battle

    'Money can't buy us': Mapping Canada's oil pipeline battle

    We travel more than 2,000km and visit communities along the route of the oil pipeline that cuts across Indigenous land.

    Women under ISIL: The wives

    Women under ISIL: The wives

    Women married to ISIL fighters share accounts of being made to watch executions and strap explosives to other women.

    Diplomats for sale: How an ambassadorship was bought and lost

    Diplomats for sale: How an ambassadorship was bought and lost

    The story of Ali Reza Monfared, the Iranian who tried to buy diplomatic immunity after embezzling millions of dollars.