Liverpool held by Luton

The form guide again counts for nothing in England's FA Cup.

    Liverpool's John Arne Riise (L) watches in horror as
    he sends the ball into the net [EPA]
    Liverpool defender John Arne Riise turned a cross into his own net as the title contenders were held 1-1 by League One Luton in the English FA Cup.

    Three minutes after Peter Crouch had given the Reds a 74th-minute lead at Kenilworth Road, the Hatters, who are in the hands of financial administrators, earned a lucrative replay at Anfield when Riise accidentally deflected a cross past his own goalkeeper.

    In a game watched by England manager Fabio Capello, Crouch scored on a breakaway, sliding the ball into an empty net after Luton goalkeeper Dean Brill had blocked a shot from Andriy Voronin.

    "I am happy because we will have another game at Anfield,'' said Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez, whose future at the club has been thrown into doubt after falling out with Liverpool's American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr.

    "That is positive. We are in the Cup and we will continue trying to win. I am confident it will be different at Anfield.''

    Money spinner

    Luton manager Kevin Blackwell saluted his team for hitting back after conceding a goal.

    "I think we could have won it. It was a fantastic performance from the players,'' he said.

    "To see a sloppy goal go in like that could have really destroyed all the hard work they had done. But what a great response.

    "I am very proud of the way the players played today. We matched them football for football, but we had to match them with heart, running and endeavor.''

    Eduardo da Silva scored one goal and set up the other, and Arsenal won 2-0 at Burnley to avoid becoming another topflight club to tumble out of the FA Cup.

    After six Premier League clubs went out Saturday, four to lower-league opponents, 10-time FA Cup winner Arsenal made sure it did not join them when Eduardo give the Gunners a ninth-minute lead at Turf Moor against the League Championship club.

    The Croatian international then set up Nicklas Bendtner to score the second goal in the 75th minute.

    There were almost two more upsets in Sunday's other third-round games, however.

    Derby, last in the Premier League, hit back from two goals down at home to Championship club Sheffield Wednesday for a 2-2 draw, and Fulham twice trailed at home to League One Bristol Rovers only to also salvage a 2-2 draw and a replay.

    In Sunday's late game, Newcastle United will be somewhat relieved at forcing a replay to Championship side Stoke City after the Premiership side were outplayed during the 0-0 draw.

    Baby Gunners continue to fire

    Gunners manager Arsene Wenger rested seven of his regular starters against Burnley but recalled Germany goalkeeper Jens Lehmann, who is being linked with a move to Borussia Dortmund.

    "Jens had a faultless performance,'' said Wenger, who has fielded Manuel Almunia in the league this season.

    "I wish that he stays but we will learn whether or not he wants to in the days to come. He showed what a great professional he is. It is sad if he wants to go but the decision is in his court.''

    After Kyle Lafferty had hit Arsenal's crossbar with a powerful header, Eduardo collected a lobbed pass by Kolo Toure and held off defender Steven Caldwell before guiding the ball past goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly.

    Burnley was reduced to 10 men in the 58th minute when Lafferty was shown the red card for sliding into a tackle on Gilberto Silva with his studs raised and connecting with the Brazilian's shin.

    Bendtner added the second goal when he timed his run to take an expertly placed pass by Eduardo and slide the ball home.

    Mark Beevers gave Sheffield Wednesday a ninth-minute lead at Derby with a 20-metre drive which slipped through the hands of County goalkeeper Lewis Price.

    Marcus Tudgay made it 2-0 in the 23rd, shooting home after Derby defender Darren Moore had given the ball away.

    Kenny Miller began the fight back in the 38th minute when he took a pass from Craig Fagan, turned and slotted home a 12-meter shot.

    Giles Barnes made it 2-2 in the 45th with a 15-metre, left-footed shot.

    Danny Coles gave Bristol Rovers a third-minute lead when Fulham failed to clear a throw-in and his shot took a deflection past goalkeeper Antti Niemi.

    David Healy headed home a cross by Moritz Volz to equalise in the 40th and, although Craig Hinton restored Rovers' lead in the 65th, Danny Murphy replied eight minutes later.

    The fourth round draw is Monday.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    Visualising every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Visualising every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and a coalition of Arab states have launched more than 19,278 air raids across Yemen.

    Lost childhoods: Nigeria's fear of 'witchcraft' ruins young lives

    Lost childhoods: Nigeria's fear of 'witchcraft' ruins young lives

    Many Pentecostal churches in the Niger Delta offer to deliver people from witchcraft and possession - albeit for a fee.

    Why did Bush go to war in Iraq?

    Why did Bush go to war in Iraq?

    No, it wasn't because of WMDs, democracy or Iraqi oil. The real reason is much more sinister than that.