USA says no to Cuban cricket

Cuba are blocked from attending a US funded cricket tournament.

    The U.S Government blocks an attempt to include
    Cuba [GALLO/GETTY]
    Cuba will not be able to take part in the Stanford 20/20 Caribbean cricket competition after U.S authorities denied the competition's organiser permission to deal with the island nation.

    The competition is backed by U.S businessman Allen Stanford and under the terms of the U.S embargo against Cuba, Americans must ask for special permission to engage in commercial activity with Cuban entities.

    Stanford said that his application had been denied and therefore Cuba would not take part in what would have been their debut in international cricket.

    "We have been anxious to include the entire Caribbean in the Stanford 20/20 Cricket Tournament and I am extremely disappointed that Cuba will not be able to play," Stanford said.

    "Stanford 20/20 is requesting that the denial from the United States Government be reconsidered and we are exploring every option to secure their future participation."

    Twenty countries will compete in the knockout tournament which runs from January 26 to Feburary 24 in Antigua.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Take a tour through divided Jerusalem

    Interactive: Take a tour through divided Jerusalem

    Take a tour through East and West Jerusalem to see the difference in quality of life for Israelis and Palestinians.

    Stories from the sex trade

    Stories from the sex trade

    Dutch sex workers, pimps and johns share their stories.

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    As the stigma associated with being childless persists, some elderly women in India risk it all to become mothers.