Egypt declares state of emergency in Sinai

President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi issues order after 31 soldiers were killed in gun and bomb attack in the country's north.

    Egypt has declared a state of emergency in the north and centre of the Sinai Peninsula after a suicide car bombing killed at least 31 soldiers.

    The measures will begin on Saturday at 03:00 GMT "for [a] duration of three months," President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi said in a statement, in the wake of the deadliest attack on the security forces since the army deposed President Mohamed Morsi last year.

    A three-day mourning period has been declared across the country, while a curfew has been put in place between 7pm and 7am in areas covered by the state of emergency declaration, according to state media.

    Speaking after a meeting of the national defence council on Saturday, Sisi described the Sinai Peninsula as "a nesting ground for terrorism and terrorists".

    "Egypt has been fighting terrorists for months," he said. "No one can drive a wedge between the Egyptians and their army."

    The attack on Friday afternoon hit an army checkpoint at Karm al-Qawadeis, southwest of Sheikh Zuweid in Sinai, killing 28 soldiers.

    Egyptian sources said the suicide car bomber detonated his explosives near the checkpoint's magazine, causing it and an army vehicle to explode. Fighters then attacked the site with guns and a rocket-propelled grenade.

    The source said the group attacked as soldiers were on break inside their tents. State media reported that 30 other people were wounded, several of whom were in critical condition.

    Three more members of Egypt's security forces were killed in a separate attack at a checkpoint outside nearby al-Arish. It was not immediately clear whether the dead were soldiers or police.

    Soldiers killed

    In an interview with Al Jazeera, Peter Bechtold, a former US State Department official, said that anger is brewing in the region following the removal and imprisonment of Morsi.

    Bechtold quoted sources as saying that Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, the most active armed group in Egypt, may be linked to the attack.

    The attack was one of the deadliest on security forces since Sisi, in July last year, toppled Morsi from the presidency, launched a crackdown on his supporters and declared his Muslim Brotherhood movement a terrorist organisation.

    Hundreds of soldiers and police officers have been killed in attacks since last year.

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Meet the deported nurse aiding asylum seekers at US-Mexico border

    Meet the deported nurse helping refugees at the border

    Francisco 'Panchito' Olachea drives a beat-up ambulance around Nogales, taking care of those trying to get to the US.

    The rise of Pakistan's 'burger' generation

    The rise of Pakistan's 'burger' generation

    How a homegrown burger joint pioneered a food revolution and decades later gave a young, politicised class its identity.

    'We will cut your throats': The anatomy of Greece's lynch mobs

    The brutality of Greece's racist lynch mobs

    With anti-migrant violence hitting a fever pitch, victims ask why Greek authorities have carried out so few arrests.