Egypt defends actions of security forces

Bader Abdel Atty, foreign ministry spokesman, says it was the government's duty to impose law and order.

    Bader Abdel Atty, a spokesman for the Egyptian foreign ministry, has denied accusations that security forces used excessive force when dispersing the sit-in demonstrations and against anti-coup protesters on Friday.

    "Public opinion here in this country is blaming the government and the security forces (for) being so soft," he told Al Jazeera in an interview.

    Abdel Atty said that al-Qaeda flags had been raised during the protests. He accused demonstrators of firing machine guns at civilians and said that it was the duty of the government to impose law and order.

    The deadly crackdown has drawn condemnation from the US, the UN and international human rights bodies.

    But Abdel Atty said Egypt was not worried about the criticism, adding that his government "will not accept any interference".

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    World Cup 2018 quiz: How big a football fan are you?

    World Cup 2018 quiz: How big a football fan are you?

    Answer as many correct questions in 90 seconds to win the World Cup with your favourite team.

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    New information has come to light about thousands of mostly Yemeni children believed to have been abducted in the 1950s.

    Stories from the sex trade

    Stories from the sex trade

    Dutch sex workers, pimps and johns share their stories.