Yemen's Houthi truce under scrutiny

Opposition members say Houthis will find it difficult to meet government demands.

    Yemen's defence ministry said this week that the government would stop its war on against Houthi fighters if they were to begin complying with its six conditions.

    Ceasefire terms, presented in August, included removing checkpoints, ending banditry, handing over all military equipment and weapons, and releasing civilians and military personnel.

    But a government official said on Sunday that the ceasefire deal should have included a pledge by the group not to attack neighbouring Saudi Arabia.

    Members of Yemen's political opposition told Al Jazeera that the Houthis will find it difficult to meet government demands for a ceasefire, calling the terms of the truce "unworkable."

    Government officials have said Houthi leaders twice rejected the terms, while Abdul-Malik al-Houthi, the Houthis' leader, said last week that his fighters had twice declared they wanted to end the conflict.

    Hashem Ahelbarra reports from the capital Sanaa.

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Thou Shalt Not Kill: Israel's Hilltop Youth

    Thou Shalt Not Kill: Israel's Hilltop Youth

    Meet the hardline group willing to do anything, including going against their government, to claim land for Israel.