Film claims 1967 Israeli 'massacre'

Egyptians outraged after film claims Israel killed surrendered soldiers in 1967 war.

    The issue has outraged the Egyptian parliament 
    Some representatives called for economic ties with Israel to be cut, and some even for re-thinking of the Camp David peace accord.
     
    The Egyptian foreign ministry issued a statement on Wednesday saying that this would leave a scar on relations between Israel and Egypt.

    Mostafa Bakri, a member of the Egyptian parliament, said: "We reacted to the summary in the Israeli media about the film. The summary said Israeli soldiers confessed to killing Egyptian prisoners of war.

    "The Egyptian government has failed so far in demanding to bring those responsible, including Ben Eliezer, to international justice or to extradite the Israeli ambassador from the country."

    Untold stories

    Al Jazeera spoke to some of the survivors of the 1967 war, who said there were many untold stories despite the conflict lasting just seven days.

    "The Egyptians surrendered and the Israelis told them to lie on the ground before driving the tanks over the soldiers"

    Moussa al-Roweshid
    1967 war survivor

    Moussa al Roweshid, who was 15 years old when the war started, is from North Sinai, scene of some of the worst fighting.

    He said he believed the claims made in the Israeli documentary about the prisoners' massacre because he witnessed some of the atrocities.

    "The Egyptians ran out of ammunition after the Israelis cut off the supply roads. The Egyptians surrendered and the Israelis told them to lie on the ground before driving the tanks over the soldiers. 

    "There are other incidents near Abu Ejerem and Abu Hani wells on the sea coast. Just dig those places to find out the truth," he said.

    Documentary as evidence

    Standing next to a cemetery, Rashid Khalil, now 75, said he remembered how Egyptian soldiers surrendered to the Israelis there. 

    "The Israelis got the soldiers to queue up and took their belongings. They told some to go to Nasser and the rest were shot dead. They forced Bedouins to bury the dead."

    Mahmoud Lotfi is a lawyer representing 23 Egyptian families still fighting to learn what happened to their relatives who went missing during the war. 

    He sees the issues raised in the documentary as a glimmer of hope for his clients.

    Their case against Ariel Sharon, the former Israeli prime minister, was dismissed because of a lack of evidence. He now hopes to re-open the case using this documentary as evidence.

    "We were patient and Israel has now given us the required evidence. These confessions in the film are our evidence."

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    In 1959, a year before Nigeria's independence, a 23-year-old student helped colour the country's identity.