Moroccan arrested in Italy synagogue 'plot'

Authorities detain 20-year-old labourer in Milan, finding Nazi flags, chemicals and instructions for bomb building.

    Suspect allegedly had maps of the synagogue's security on his computer [Reuters]

    Italian police have arrested a Moroccan man on suspicion of plotting an attack against a synagogue in the city of Milan.

    The chief suspect, identified only as a 20-year-old worker who had lived in Italy since age six, was arrested in the northern city of Brescia, 100km east of Milan.

    The suspect was said to have had details of the synagogue and plans for an attack on his computer.

    Meanwhile, in Britain, Scotland Yard detained a 40-year-old woman who had been in contact with the suspect to determine if she played any role in the alleged plot.

    Anna Maria Cancellieri, the Italian interior minister, said that the matter was being treated "very seriously", although there was no terror alert in particular.

    Lucio Carluccio, the head of Brescia police, said anti-terrorism investigators identified the suspect from internet traffic, including a Facebook page on how to assemble explosives and references in other contexts to a holy war.

    The suspect had been under investigation for several months, but police arrested him after noting that he was using an internet application to zoom in on areas around the synagogue in a way that suggested he was examining the security, not browsing casually, said Carluccio.

    'Particular alarm'

    Authorities confiscated two flags emblazoned with Nazi swastikas at the suspect's residence, along with computers, USB drives, detailed descriptions of how to build a car bomb and the quantities of chemicals needed to make an explosive.

    In Britain, Scotland Yard said the 40-year-old woman was detained in the early hours of Thursday on suspicion of collecting information useful to terrorism.

    Authorities were searching the residence where she was arrested, and Scotland Yard was in contact with Italian authorities to determine if there was a link between the woman and the alleged plot.

    Italy's interior minister, who is in charge of security services, played down any "particular alarm" about terrorism but said the arrest of the Moroccan was a "very serious activity".

    The arrest warrant for the Moroccan was issued by authorities in Sardinia, who first identified the suspect in the course of another investigation.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Death from above: Every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Death from above: Every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and a coalition of Arab states have launched more than 19,278 air raids across Yemen.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Will you push the boundaries or play it safe?

    Curate an art exhibition and survive Thailand's censorship crackdown in this interactive game.