Prosecutor appeals Lubanga ruling

Prosecutor appeals ICC release order for DR Congo warlord.

    Lubanga faces charges of enlisting and conscripting child soldiers to fight in the DRC [AFP]

    Last week, the court suspended his trial and criticised the chief prosecutor for abusing court processes and ignoring the judges' orders.

    Security concerns

    Moreno-Ocampo remained adamant on Friday that he would not release the name of an intermediary to Lubanga's defence team until security concerns were addressed.

    "The prosecution prefers to lose the case rather than to threaten the life of a person," Moreno-Ocampo said.

    He said he would release the name "as soon as protection is in place".

    Lubanga is accused of enlisting and conscripting children younger than 15 for his Union of Congolese Patriots, to kill members of a rival tribe in the 1998-2003 war in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    He has pleaded not guilty and described himself as a politician, not a warlord.

    The ICC is also trying other accused Congolese warlords for crimes committed during the fighting in the giant, resource-rich African country.

    Lubanga's trial resumed in January, six months after prosecutors finished presenting their case.

    His defence has argued that the child soldiers who testified against him made up their stories.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Cricket World Cup 2019 Quiz: How many runs can you score?

    Cricket World Cup 2019 Quiz: How many runs can you score?

    Pick your team and answer as many correct questions in three minutes.

    Visualising every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Visualising every Saudi coalition air raid on Yemen

    Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and a coalition of Arab states have launched more than 19,278 air raids across Yemen.

    Remembering Chernobyl

    Remembering Chernobyl

    The fallout from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant explosion remains as politicised as ever, 28 years on.