Afghan girls killed in Nangarhar explosion

At least 10 young girls killed in explosion, while separate suicide attack in Kabul claims one life.

    Afghan girls killed in Nangarhar explosion
    The girls were gathering firewood outside their village when the blast occurred [AFP]

    At least 10 young girls have been killed after an explosion in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar, officials say.

    The explosion occurred in the Charparhar district on Monday morning.

    The girls, ranged between nine and 13 years of age, were gathering firewood outside the Dawlatzai village when the explosion took place, said Mohammad Seddiq, a local government administrator.

    It was not immediately clear what caused the explosion.

    Seddiq said that two other girls were seriously wounded in the explosion and were in critical condition at a local hospital.

    Police are scouring the area for clues as to what type of explosive went off, Seddiq said.

    Kabul explosion

    Meanwhile, on the outskirts of the capital Kabul, a suicide bomber in a small truck detonated outside the entrance to a logistics company, killing at least two people and injuring 15 others, the interior ministry said.

    Both of those killed were Afghan civilians, the ministry said. The injured included 13 Afghans and two foreign nationals.

    The blast occurred in the Jalalabad Road area, where a number of foreign companies have offices.

    Daoud Amini, the deputy police chief for Kabul, said the compound was used by Contrack, a Virginia-based company whose projects include fuel storage, air field construction and tanker facilities.

    Large sections of the compound's exterior wall were blown apart and the roof of a building had collapsed. Twisted metal
    from shipping containers that had been ripped open by the explosion littered the ground.

    Baryalai, a security officer for the company, said the arm of the company that was attacked is building barracks and other facilities for the Afghan army

    "There was massive destruction inside ... I was sitting behind my computer when it happened. I was not hurt but I saw many of my colleagues were injured,'' Bashir Farhang, an employee, said of the blast.

    In a statement, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

    "A suicide car bomber attacked an important American company which is involved in security," Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesperson, said in a statement. "The company was under our surveillance for a long time and today we succeeded."

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    'We scoured for days without sleeping, just clothes on our backs'

    'We scoured for days without sleeping, just clothes on our backs'

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Daughters of al-Shabab

    Daughters of al-Shabab

    What draws Kenyan women to join al-Shabab and what challenges are they facing when they return to their communities?