Taliban fighters attack Afghan city

Afghan troops battle Taliban after raid on government and UN buildings in Helmand.


    Afghan security forces trapped the Taliban fighters in an empty building in Lashkar Gah

    He said that 20 foreign and Afghan soldiers were killed or wounded, but Nato said no deaths had been reported on the pro-government side.

    Kamal Uddin, the deputy provincial police chief, said no civilian casualties had
    been reported.

    Fighters disguised

    Al Jazeera's David Chater, reporting from the capital, Kabul, said fighters had stormed various points in the city.

    "Attack helicopters are over the city and have fired upon insurgents"

    International Security Assistance Forces (Isaf) statement

    "Apparently they were dressed in either Afghan national army uniforms or police uniforms. Several explosions have been heard," he said.

    Nato said its troops and Afghan soldiers had contained the Taliban fighters in an empty building.

    "We cleared the building just minutes ago and all the enemy elements were killed," General Shair Mohammad Zazai, the southern military commander, said after the fighting ended.
      
    "We have collected five bodies of the militants and the building is under our total control," he told the AFP news agency.

    Taliban assaults

    Daoud Ahmadi, a spokesman for the provincial government, said officials had received tips in recent days that the Taliban planned an attack on government buildings in Lashkar Gah.

    The Taliban have attempted similar attacks in Kabul, most recently on January 18 when seven attackers were killed after a five-hour assault.

    Five Afghan civilians and security forces also died in that fighting.

    The Helmand assault comes a day after a new fund aimed at reducing the Taliban threat was announced in an international conference on the future of Afghanistan held in London.

    The fund sets aside $140m for the first year of a programme to "reintegrate" moderate Taliban into the Afghan society.

    The Taliban released a statement dismissing the initiative as  "futile", but a UN official revealed that "active members of the  insurgency" had met an envoy from the international body early this month at their request.

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    From Qatar to Alaska, a personal journey exploring what it means to belong when your culture is endangered.