Death for 2003 Mumbai attackers

Court sentences three people to death for their role in bombings that killed at least 52.

    At least 52 people were killed in the blasts that struck two busy areas of Mumbai in 2003 [AFP]

    'Links to Pakistan'

    The three were found guilty in July over the attacks at the Gateway of India monument and in the gold and jewellery quarter of the Zaveri Bazaar.

    The bombs were planted in two taxis and exploded within minutes of each other at lunchtime on August 25, 2003.

    Police accused the group of being members of the so-called Gujarat Muslim Revenge Force, and said the bombings were retaliation for Hindu attacks on Muslims during riots in Gujarat state in 2002.

    Prosecutors said that they also had links to the banned Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) group, which has been accused of planning last November's attack on Mumbai in which at least 166 people died.

    The three defendants had pleaded not guilty to all charges.

    Two other men accused of providing and assembling the high-explosive RDX devices used in the attacks were previously acquitted by the court.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Meet the man on a mission to take down Cambodia's timber tycoons and expose a rampant illegal cross-border trade.

    The priceless racism of the Duke of Edinburgh

    The priceless racism of the Duke of Edinburgh

    Prince Philip has done the world an extraordinary service by exposing the racist hypocrisy of "Western civilisation".

    China will determine the future of Venezuela

    China will determine the future of Venezuela

    There are a number of reasons why Beijing continues to back Maduro's government despite suffering financial losses.