Mumbai bombings: Last six convicted

India convicts final six of the 123 defendants tried for 1993 Mumbai bombings.

    Film footage from the 1993 blast shows the
    crater left by the explosion (file)

    Kode began delivering the judgment in September and sentences are likely to be announced in February next year.

     

    Ujjwal Nikam, the public prosecutor, said prosecution and defence lawyers will begin arguments on sentencing next week, a process that could take up to a month.

     

    "This is a historic case. Never before in Indian history have 100 people been convicted in a single case," Nikam told reporters.

     

    The six men were convicted of undergoing weapons and explosives training in Pakistan in January 1993, participating in planning meetings, packing the powerful RDX explosive into cars and scooters used in the blast, and lobbing hand grenades in a Mumbai suburb on March 12, 1993.

     

    The men, Bashir Khairulla, Zahir Hussain, Abdul Khan, Firoz Mallik, Moin Quereshi and Salim Shaikh, face a possible death penalty.

     

    Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt was one of defendants. Last week he was found guilty of possessing illegal arms, but acquitted of a more serious conspiracy charge.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    The Coming War on China

    The Coming War on China

    Journalist John Pilger on how the world's greatest military power, the US, may well be on the road to war with China.