Rebels to leave Philippine villages

Pledge comes as fierce clashes between troops and Muslim separatists displace 160,000 people.

    The separatists say they are repositioning to avoid clashes with the military [AFP]

    About 13 villages were still held by the separatists on Tuesday, but Eid Kabalu, a spokesman for them, said they were "repositioning" on Tuesday, but said the pace of the pullout depended on army troops ceasing fire.

    "They're repositioning to a place safe and far enough to prevent exchanges of gunfire from both sides," Kabalu told The Associated Press.

    The civil defence reported 159,123 people had fled their homes in 56 villages in the province, many of them to evacuation centres.

    Lieutenant-General Cardozo Luna, the military vice-chief of staff, said the military operation, involving more than 2,000 troops, was not directed against MILF in general, but a group headed by MILF commander Umbra Kato, who is no longer following the orders of the group's main leadership.

    "The MILF rebels have defied their own leadership and have refused to leave the area," he said.

    He said they were supposed to have complied with a government deal with the MILF leadership to move out of the disputed areas, but "they just re-positioned and occupied other villages".

    Peace plan halted

    The violence is the worst seen since the Supreme Court halted plans to establish an extended Muslim homeland in the southern Philippines last week.

    The MILF has been fighting a decades-long war for an Islamic state [EPA]
    The agreement on the size of a Muslim homeland and a future government's powers, including rights over exploring and developing mineral reserves, oil and gas, was halted amid protests by Catholic politicians.

    The 12,000-strong MILF has been waging a 30-year guerrilla campaign for a separate Islamic state in the south of the largely-Christian Philippines.

    The separatists signed a ceasefire with the government in 2003 to open the way for peace talks, and both sides said in July they had completed a draft agreement for recognition of MILF's "ancestral domain" in the south.

    However, local officials in Mindanao opposed the agreement and filed a suit with the Supreme Court, leading to a suspension of the draft accord and raising new tensions.

    The court has asked the government to submit arguments defending the agreement.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    From Zimbabwe to England: A story of war, home and identity

    The country I saw as home, my parents saw as oppressors

    What happens when you reject the identity your parents fought for and embrace that of those they fought against?

    Becoming Ocean: When you and the world are drowning

    Becoming Ocean: When you and the world are drowning

    One woman shares the story of her life with polycystic kidney disease and sees parallels with the plight of the planet.

    The evening death came for me: My journey with PTSD

    The evening death came for me: My journey with PTSD

    On a gorgeous Florida evening, a truck crashed into me. As I lay in intensive care, I learned who had been driving it.