N Korea confirms funds row over

Pyongyang says it is ready to go ahead with nuclear disarmament commitments.

    Supplies of food and other aid are conditional on North Korea shutting down its nuclear programme [AFP]

    The funds, which had been frozen in a Macau bank account, had been the roadblock to implementing the six-nation agreement reached in Beijing in February.

     

    Under the deal North Korea agreed to shut down its nuclear programme in return for energy aid and other benefits.

     

    The funds, held in an account at the Macau-based Banco Delta Asia, were frozen in 2005 following allegations from the US that the money was connected to North Korean money-laundering and counterfeiting operations.

     

    Your Views

    "North Korea has only one card in hand and that is its nuclear programme

    Rahy, Tehran, Iran

    Send us your views

    Announcing it had received the funds, the North Korean statement said the funds would be used "for humanitarian purposes", but did not elaborate.

     

    The North Korean announcement came as a team of inspectors from United Nations's nuclear watchdog arrived in Beijing en route to Pyongyang.

     

    The team from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is expected to hold discussions with North Korean officials on the processes for verifying a shut down of its Yongbyon nuclear reactor.

     

    Speaking on arrival at Beijing airport on Monday Olli Heinonen, the head of the IAEA delegation, said his team was going to negotiate "how to verify and make sure the reactors will be shut down at Yongbyon".

     

    He added however that he was unsure whether the team would have a chance to visit the reactor site.

     

    Deadline

     

    The visit is the first time inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) have been allowed to enter North Korea since they were kicked out almost five years ago.

     

    North Korea, which tested its first atom bomb last year, agreed in February to shut down its Yongbyon reactor.

     

    The agreement set a deadline of mid-April, but that was missed amid the on-going row over access to the frozen funds.

     

    US envoy Chrisopher Hill says he expects the
    shutdown to take place within  weeks [EPA]

    But on Monday Russia's Dalkombank, which acted as an intermediary in the transaction, said in a statement on its website that the funds had finally been transferred to North Korea.

     

    "On June 25 the funds were transferred to the Bank of Foreign Trade of Korean Democratic Republic. Therefore the problem of the funds transfer has been solved," the statement read.

     

    Last week, Christopher Hill, the chief US negotiator, made a surprise 24-hour visit to North Korea in an effort to push forward the long-delayed disarmament deal.

     

    He said on Saturday the Yongbyon reactor was expected to be shut within three weeks, and foreign ministers would meet in July to discuss the next steps in Pyongyang's nuclear disarmament.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    'We scoured for days without sleeping, just clothes on our backs'

    'We scoured for days without sleeping, just clothes on our backs'

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Daughters of al-Shabab

    Daughters of al-Shabab

    What draws Kenyan women to join al-Shabab and what challenges are they facing when they return to their communities?