Bali bombers plead for their lives

Three convicted Bali bombers seek final judicial review against death sentence.

    The twin nightclub explosions in October 2002
    killed 202 people, mostly Australian tourists.


    Nonetheless the supreme court upheld their sentences in December 2005.
     
    All three men had confessed to taking part in the suicide bombing plot.
     
    The three are among more than 30 who were convicted for bombing two popular nightclubs in Kuta, the island’s bustling tourist district, on October 22, 2002.
     
    The explosion killed 202 mostly foreigners and sent shockwaves throughout the region. The plot was allegedly masterminded by Jemaah Islamiyah, a group said to be linked to the al Qaida organisation.
     
    Bali’s tourism sector, the island's main income generator, went into a slump as travel advisories warned foreign nationals to avoid the island for fear of another similar attack.
     
    According to lawyers for the three men, they were instructed to appeal against the death sentences in July after initially wishing to die as martyrs.
     
    Achmad Michdan said he had filed the documents through the Denpasar District Court in Bali.
     
    A court official confirmed that the paperwork had been received and that a panel of judges was being assembled for the judicial review.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    How different voting systems work around the world

    How different voting systems work around the world

    Nearly two billion voters in 52 countries around the world will head to the polls this year to elect their leaders.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    The great plunder: Nepal's stolen treasures

    The great plunder: Nepal's stolen treasures

    How the art world's hunger for ancient artefacts is destroying a centuries-old culture. A journey across the Himalayas.