Remains of Boston bombing suspect claimed

US funeral home claims body of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, one of the suspects behind marathon blast that killed three people.

    Remains of Boston bombing suspect claimed
    Investigators combed through the site where the bomb struck on April 15 during the Boston Marathon [AP]

    A funeral home has claimed the body of the 26-year-old Boston Marathon bombing suspect who died in a gun battle with police.

    A spokesman for the Department of Public Safety says the remains of Tamerlan Tsarnaev were picked up on Thursday by a funeral home his family retained.

    Authorities are now closer to being able to make public Tsarnaev's cause of death.

    The medical examiner said it wouldn't be disclosed until Tsarnaev's remains were released and a death certificate was filed. It was unclear whether the death certificate had been filed.

    The April 15 bombing near the marathon's finish line killed three people and injured more than 260 others. Authorities say Tsarnaev and his younger brother later killed a campus police officer and carjacked a driver, who escaped.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    From Qatar to Alaska, a personal journey exploring what it means to belong when your culture is endangered.