Haiti survivor pulled out of rubble

Rescue teams bring out trapped man 11 days after deadly quake flattened buildings.

    Greek and French rescue teams said they will continue searching collapsed buildings for survivors [AFP]

    Coke and biscuits

    Taking shelter under his desk as the rubble began to fall, he survived lying on his back and drinking cola and biscuits. "I would eat anything I found, after the quake I didn't know when it was day and when it was night."

    special report
    Special Report: Haiti earthquake
    Jean Elie, Jean-Pierre's brother, heard tapping from the ruins of the Hotel Napoli Inn where he had been searching daily for him, after dreaming that he was alive.

    "Today is the first time we communicated with him," Jean Elie said. "He asked for us to save him. God has been keeping him alive."

    Hospital workers said Jean-Pierre, who had been working as a cashier in the hotel's grocery store, was fine but thirsty.

    Jean Elie added he was disappointed at the government's decision to disband rescue operations, as more people were likely to be trapped alive.

    Death toll

    On Friday, an Israeli rescue team freed a 22-year-old man from the rubble, who even managed to limp away despite suffering from dehydration. An 84-year old woman was the second survivor pulled out alive that day.

    IN VIDEO

    Haitian survivors continue to abandon capital city.
    "She was barely responding [when rescued], she had wounds all over her body, and maggots," Vladimir Larouche, a Haitian-American doctor from New York who treated her, said. "I treated her and made her stable. The [US] army evacuated her to a boat."

    Nevertheless, Elisabeth Byrs, a spokeswoman for the UN office for the co-ordination of humanitarian affairs, said: "Hope is vanishing now, though we could still have miracles."

    Last week, Haitian officials confirmed that the death toll from the January 12 earthquake stands at over 110,000, with 193,000 more people wounded and another 609,000 forced into temporary shelters.

    Following the toll revision, the US Geographical Survey said on Saturday that the quake was possibly the most destructive on record in the region.

    "It's probably accurate [to say] that this is the most deadly quake to occur in this part of the world," Dale Grant, a geophysicist at the Geographic Survey told the AFP news agency.

    I don't think we've seen anything like it in this area."

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    In 1959, a year before Nigeria's independence, a 23-year-old student helped colour the country's identity.