US anthrax attacker 'acted alone'

Authorities "confident" dead scientist only one responsible for 2001 attacks.

    Ivins had apparently told a colleague he had serious mental health issues [AFP]

    "We are now beginning the process of concluding this investigation [and will] formally close the case."

    Investigators from the FBI and the US Postal Inspection Service concluded the anthrax, mailed to prominent journalists and politicians in 2001 shortly after the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Centre and Pentagon, came from a single flask of parent spores that only Ivins maintained and had created.

    The authorities had earlier revealed that Ivins, who worked for 18 years at the US biodefence research laboratories at Fort Detrick in the US state of Maryland, had been working on a vaccine against the disease.

    Mental health issues

    Ivins reportedly could not give investigators an explanation for his late-night laboratory work hours around the time of both anthrax mailings.

    He even submitted false samples of anthrax from his lab to the FBI to mislead investigators, Thomas Dellafera, an investigator for the postal inspection service, said.

    He had also told a colleague that he was suffering serious mental health issues in the months preceding the attacks and had "incredible paranoid, delusional thoughts at times", which led to him to fear he could not control his behaviour, Dellafera said.

    However, Ivins's lawyers have rejected the allegations, saying their client was innocent and that the US department of justice had no case.

    "The government's press conference was an orchestrated dance of carefully worded statements, heaps of innuendo and a staggering lack of real evidence - all contorted to create the illusion of guilt by Dr Ivins," his lawyers, Paul Kemp and Thomas DeGonia, said.

    Critics have questioned the evidence against Ivins, particularly after investigators mistakenly named Steven Hatfill, another scientist at Fort Detrick, as a "person of interest" over the attacks.

    Hatfill was never charged and in June this year the US government agreed to pay him $5.85m to settle a lawsuit he had brought.

    In addition to the five deaths, 17 people became ill and the US postal service was thrown into chaos following the attacks.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    Survivor stories from Super Typhoon Haiyan

    The Philippines’ Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest storm ever to make landfall. Five years on, we revisit this story.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    We Are Still Here: A Story from Native Alaska

    From Qatar to Alaska, a personal journey exploring what it means to belong when your culture is endangered.