Canadian court quashes terror law

Supreme court ends law used to detain suspected terrorists without charge for years.

    Adil Charkaoui was one of three men who appealed against the law [AP]

    Security certificates

    The ruling, however, was suspended for one year to allow parliament to amend the law, as requested by government lawyers.

    The controversial security certificates, which permit secret court hearings, undisclosed evidence and indefinite incarceration, have been enshrined in Canada's immigration act since 1978.

    After the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, they were used to jail five suspected terrorists, including the appellants, Moroccan Adil Charkaoui, Algerian Mohamed Harkat and Syrian Hassan Almrei.

    Canadian politicians said the measures were absolutely necessary to thwart possible terrorist attacks.

    But critics argued they breached civil liberties.

    "Discriminatory"

    The appellants' lawyers asked the court to "strike down" the law because the certificates circumvented normal judicial process and were unconstitutional, as well as "discriminatory."

    Paul Copeland, Harkat's lawyer, said in June 2006 the government's refusal to divulge secret evidence in such cases, much of it gleaned from foreign intelligence sources, "emasculated" defenc lawyers.

    Government lawyers argued the unusual secrecy in the cases prevented possible disclosure of intelligence and spy techniques to terrorists abroad.

    The court ruled this secrecy violated the suspects' constitutional right to a fair hearing.

    Further, they found the slow and secretive process of determining whether security certificates are reasonable "cannot be justified as minimal impairments" of a person's right to a fair and speedy judicial hearing.

    The lengthy review process "violates the guarantee against arbitrary detention," the justices wrote.

    Hunger strike
     
    Harkat and Charkaoui were previously released on strict bail conditions, which include electronic monitoring, after several years in a Canadian prison.

    Hassan Almrei and another man, Egyptian-born Mahmoud Jaballah, remain in custody.

    They have been on a hunger strike for more than two months to protest their conditions at a Kingston, Ontario, detention centre.

    A fifth detainee, Egyptian Mohammad Mahjoub, was ordered released last week.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    Interactive: Coding like a girl

    What obstacles do young women in technology have to overcome to achieve their dreams? Play this retro game to find out.

    Heron Gate mass eviction: 'We never expected this in Canada'

    Hundreds face mass eviction in Canada's capital

    About 150 homes in one of Ottawa's most diverse and affordable communities are expected to be torn down in coming months

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    I remember the day … I designed the Nigerian flag

    In 1959, a year before Nigeria's independence, a 23-year-old student helped colour the country's identity.