Kenya coast attack suspects shot dead

Security forces shoot five suspected of attacks that killed 65 people, and recover AK-47 guns and ammunition.

    Kenya coast attack suspects shot dead
    At least 65 people were killed in the attacks claimed by Somali rebel group al-Shabab [AFP]

    Kenya's security forces have shot dead five people suspected of involvement in attacks on the coast this week that left at least 65 people dead, the Interior Ministry said.

    "Five suspected attackers shot dead while escaping, three AK-47 guns and several ammunitions recovered," the Interior
    Ministry said on Twitter on Thursday. He located the incident in Lamu County.

    Somalia's al-Shabab rebel group claimed responsibility for this week's attacks that were 24 hours apart on the town of Mpeketoni and a nearby village.

    President Uhuru Kenyatta dismissed the group's claim and accused his political rivals of being behind the attacks, saying they wanted to stoke ethnic tensions.

    The opposition swiftly denied the charge, which risks deepening political divisions.

    A Kenyan army source, who asked not to be named, confirmed five suspects were killed in a forested area during a combined operation involving the army and other security forces.

    Kenya has faced a spate of gun and grenade attacks in recent months. The killings in Mpeketoni were the worst since al-Shabab gunmen stormed into Nairobi's Westgate shopping mall in September, leaving 67 people dead.

    The government has faced mounting public anger at the rising insecurity and accusations it failed to do enough to protect

    Protesters detained

    In the main port city of Mombasa on Thursday, police fired teargas and rubber bullets to disperse a demonstration about
    poor security. Eight people were arrested and charged with unlawful assembly, and later released on bail.

    The protest was organised by 27 rights groups.

    "We have not done anything wrong by holding peaceful demonstrations for the sake of our country and we will still
    have them, until the government restores security in the country," Phyllis Mwema, one of the organisers, told Reuters news agency.

    Mwema said police had been properly notified of the protest, which had been organised to take place before the Mpeketoni attacks. Police said they were informed but had not given approval for fear it could be targeted by "criminals".

    Police intervened to prevent protesters from reaching regional administrative offices.

    "We are trying to ensure that we don't create situations that give evil-minded people an easy opportunity to execute
    crime," Mombasa County Commissioner Nelson Marwa said, explaining the decision not to approve the protest.

    SOURCE: Reuters


     How Britain Destroyed the Palestinian Homeland

    How Britain Destroyed the Palestinian Homeland

    Ninety-nine years since Balfour's "promise", Palestinians insist that their rights in Palestine cannot be dismissed.

    Afghan asylum seekers resort to sex work in Athens

    Afghan asylum seekers resort to sex work in Athens

    In the rundown Pedion Areos Park, older men walk slowly by young asylum seekers before agreeing on a price for sex.

    Profile: Osama bin Laden

    Profile: Osama bin Laden

    The story of a most-wanted fugitive and billionaire.