US reduces embassy staff in Libya

Washington says it is temporarily withdrawing more staff from its embassy in Libya's capital for security reasons.

     A statement on the website of the US embassy in Tripoli warned of possible protests in Tripoli on Friday [Reuters]
    A statement on the website of the US embassy in Tripoli warned of possible protests in Tripoli on Friday [Reuters]

     

    The United States is temporarily withdrawing more staff from its embassy in Libya's capital for security reasons, but hopes to send them back early next week, the US State Department has said.

    "This is a temporary further drawdown of staff for security reasons. We will review our posture again early next week with the goal of restoring staff as soon as conditions allow," a State Department official said in New York on Thursday, where Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is attending the U.N. General Assembly.

    US Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed during what Washington has called a terrorist attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi on September 11.

    The senior official declined to say how many staff were being withdrawn or discuss specifics, but a statement on the website of the US embassy in Tripoli warned of possible demonstrations in Tripoli and Benghazi on Friday.

    "The demonstrations are a continuation of those that took place in Benghazi on September 21-22, 2012," it said, referring to protests in support of democracy and against the Islamist militias that Washington blames for the assault on its consulate. The demonstrations erupted into violence.

    "Even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can become violent and unpredictable. You should avoid them if at all possible," the embassy said.

    A source with access to official US threat assessments said no specific threat or specific target had been identified.

    However, the source said the staff withdrawal was ordered out of an abundance of caution because some believe the anti-American protests in Benghazi were used as cover by the militants who carried out the September 11 attacks on the US Consulate.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    The shocking story of Israel's disappeared babies

    New information has come to light about thousands of mostly Yemeni children believed to have been abducted in the 1950s.

    Stories from the sex trade

    Stories from the sex trade

    Dutch sex workers, pimps and johns share their stories.

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    As the stigma associated with being childless persists, some elderly women in India risk it all to become mothers.