Nigerians bury massacre victims

Troops patrol areas near city of Jos after Sunday's attack that left more than 500 dead.

    Adviser sacked

    Dan Manjang, an adviser to the government of Plateau State, where the attacks took place, said 95 arrests had been made.

    IN DEPTH

      Timeline: Nigeria tensions
      Nigeria's sectarian crisis
      Video: Jos violence

    Nigerian media also reported that Jonathan Goodluck, the country's acting president, had sacked Sarki Muktar, the national security adviser, on Tuesday.

    However, it was not clear whether the sacking was linked to the latest sectarian violence.

    At least two other villages near Dogo Nahawa were also targeted on Sunday in an area close to where sectarian clashes killed hundreds of people in January.

    Al Jazeera's Yvonne Ndege, reporting from Jos, said the government had confirmed Sunday's death toll at more than 500 and had launched a huge security operation in an attempt to stop the violence from spreading to other states.

    Our correspondent quoted police as saying that the attackers were Muslim Hausa-Fulani herders while the victims were mainly Christians from the Borom community.

    Test for Jonathan

    But she added that while many people would view the violence in a religious context, people she had spoken to said the violence was about indigenous groups, who are mainly Christian, and migrants and settlers, mainly from the Hausa-speaking Muslim north, competing for access to resources.

    Attacks occurred in three villages
    south of Jos [AFP]

    The latest violence in the centre of Africa's most populous nation comes at a time of uncertainty for the country, with Jonathan trying to assert his authority while Umaru Yar'Adua, the president, remains too sick to govern.

    The situation is a test of Jonathan's ability to show that he has the power to deploy the police and army as commander-in-chief, and many people will be watching to see how he deals with the situation, our correspondent said.

    In a statement after Sunday's attack, Jonathan's office said he had "directed that the security services undertake strategic initiatives to confront and defeat these roving bands of killers". 

    Gregory Yenlong, Plateau State's Commissioner for Information, said that "soldiers are patrolling and everywhere remains calm", but security officials have been criticised for failing to prevent another outburst of violence just weeks after hundreds died in Muslim-Christian clashes.

    The violence appeared to be reprisal attacks following the January unrest in Jos when most of the victims were Muslims, Robin Waubo, a Red Cross spokesman, said.

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    'We were forced out by the government soldiers'

    'We were forced out by the government soldiers'

    We dialled more than 35,000 random phone numbers to paint an accurate picture of displacement across South Sudan.

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Interactive: Plundering Cambodia's forests

    Meet the man on a mission to take down Cambodia's timber tycoons and expose a rampant illegal cross-border trade.

    Pakistan's tribal areas: 'Neither faith nor union found'

    Pakistan's tribal areas: 'Neither faith nor union found'

    Residents of long-neglected northwestern tribal belt say incorporation into Pakistan has left them in a vacuum.