Illegal miners killed in Congo

Diamond miners thought to have knocked pit prop underground killing 18 people.

    Seven of the 18 bodies have been recovered [File: AFP]
     

    Abandoned mine

    The mine had been abandoned and its holding company had closed since November last year, hamstrung by outdated equipment and further hit by the fall in global diamond prices.

    The company, which employed 5,000 people, produced an average of six million carats annually at the start of the decade.

    Production fell to one million carats in 2007 and less than 500,000 carats
    last year.

    The state holds an 80 per cent stake in the firm. The remaining 20 per cent belongs to Mwana Africa, a South African company.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Lost childhoods: Nigeria's fear of 'witchcraft' ruins young lives

    Lost childhoods: Nigeria's fear of 'witchcraft' ruins young lives

    Many Pentecostal churches in the Niger Delta offer to deliver people from witchcraft and possession - albeit for a fee.

    The priceless racism of the Duke of Edinburgh

    The priceless racism of the Duke of Edinburgh

    Prince Philip has done the world an extraordinary service by exposing the racist hypocrisy of "Western civilisation".

    Why a hipster, vegan, green tech economy is not sustainable

    Why a hipster, vegan, green tech economy is not sustainable

    Improving eco-efficiency within a capitalist growth-oriented system will not save the environment.