Kidnapped Egypt tourists freed

Italian foreign ministry confirms release of 19 hostages, including 11 Westerners.

    Sudan says soldiers killed six kidnappers
    in  a gun battle
    [AFP]

    Amr El-Kahky, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Cairo, said: "We're told the [former] hostages are safe and sound and that half of the kidnappers, according to the [Egyptian] denfence minister, have been 'liqidated'."

    On Sunday, Mahjoub Fadl Badri, a Sudanese presidential adviser, said that Sudanese troops had pursued the kidnappers and killed them in a gun battle.

    A Sudanese soldier was also injured in the clash.

    Ransom demands

    Earlier an official had said the 19 hostages, who were snatched at gunpoint during a desert safari on September 19, were "all well" and appeared to be moving from Sudan towards Egypt.

    The hostages included five Italians, five Germans, one Romanian and eight Egyptians.

    An Egyptian security official was reported as saying that the kidnappers and German negotiators had agreed a deal but that "negotiations were still ongoing to work out details".

    The kidnappers had reportedly demanded up to $15m in ransom for releasing the hostages. Egypt's state television quoted an official as saying no ransom had been paid.

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Interactive: Take a tour through divided Jerusalem

    Interactive: Take a tour through divided Jerusalem

    Take a tour through East and West Jerusalem to see the difference in quality of life for Israelis and Palestinians.

    Stories from the sex trade

    Stories from the sex trade

    Dutch sex workers, pimps and johns share their stories.

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    Inside the world of India's booming fertility industry

    As the stigma associated with being childless persists, some elderly women in India risk it all to become mothers.